Friday, November 4, 2011

Opening Day

Tomorrow's dawn marks opening day of the 2011 deer season.

The ranch hand first experienced "opening day" 42 years ago in Sabinal, Texas.

That morning did not result in the taking of venison. It did result in absolutely FREEZING in a deer blind due to the neophyte hunter being ill prepared as to clothing.

Despite the misery of near frost bite, that was a memorable morn in terms of the eager anticipation of possibilities, the feel of the wooden stock and steel of the rifle in nervous hands, and the glory of witnessing the sunrise orchestrated by my Lord and Savior.

Surely there will never be a more meaningful "opening day", but I pray that there will be a number of similarly soul satisfying experiences.

2 comments:

glnroz said...

funny thing,, i don't hunt, but I love guns and shooting...kinda like all them danged git-tars I got. Got'em, dont pluck 'em...

TSRH said...

After 42 years as a cop, I have enuff shootin' irons to start my own war...but always pull out the same one or two to "play with"...still doin' "boys toys" I reckon???