Sunday, December 16, 2007

The First Time

There are any number of things that humans do, "for the first time", that forever remains as a special memory.

If one is inclined to hunt for wild game, there is usually no more special memory than the first deer taken.

Today I had a very special privilege. My friend, Lynn, allowed me the courtesy of his son, James, shooting his first ever deer on the Tin Star Ranch (also a "first" as the first Tin Star Ranch doe taken by anyone).

The deer was a doe (a great first deer). James shot the deer with his .223 at 115 steps with a perfect head shot which instantly put the deer down. When Lynn called to let me know, Mendy and I felt the same elation as if it was our own boy's first deer.

I am very proud of and for James and hope that if my four year old grandson, Jonathan, ever wants to hunt, he will allow me to have his first deer come from the Tin Star in the gracious manner that Lynn granted us this privilege.

James, I hope that today begins a lifetime of rewarding hunting memories for you and your sons.

No comments: