Saturday, December 15, 2007

Is It Just Me Or ......?

Didja ever see the cartoon where the herd of cows are all standing on their hind legs in the pasture smokin' cigs and drinking beer. Then a car comes by on the highway and they get back down on all fours and munch grass til the coast is clear, then back up to act "human"?

(Yeah, there is a point to this postulation)

This morn I settled into my trustee venison harvestin' structure (technically it is just an ugly hut I built since I have never actually ingested wild game meat acquired while within). It was near 5:45A with the temp 48, and a right stiff North wind blowing heavy mist on me like the Titanic was goin' down (nother words the warm was suckin' outta me like a tall dawg)!

Near bout 6:55AM (when my eyeballs were shakin' with the cold and I was seriously doubting my own sanity), six non-horned deer began to suck up the corn candy (Lisa would call it "slappin on belly jelly") under my Northeast feeder. Two of said ruminants were this year's nubbin' bucks with just the hint of "bumps" on their heads where one day magnificent calcified statuary will no doubt sprout.

Bein' younguns', the two "nubbins" soon began to headbutt, bite and kick each other exactly as my kiddos used to do. As the doe (mom) soon got tired of the commotion, she "charged" at them in an aggressive display. This went on a time or two until the "twins" took off like their tails were on fire. Not to be outdone the "mom" followed at full tilt: closely followed by the entire herd. This unlikely parade then began to circle a group of trees at such speed that they were at best a blur.

After about four trips around the trees, the whole fam damily ran right straight at my location, stopping no less than 15 yards away.

Upon seeing me (with my eyes about the size of tennis balls) they suddenly regained their "dignity" and began to rather stiffly (no doubt due to embarassment) slowly stroll away until they disappeared into the brush.

Heck, who cares that no tangible, braggin' rights, Boone and Crockett, testosterone drippin' stag appeared this morn. Seeing them dang unhorned deer act so "human" was a memory that shall not soon fade.

No comments: