Saturday, February 2, 2008

Do-Overs

Is there a person on earth who wouldn't like to "do-over" a thing or two in their life?

I have been thinking about a partial list:

TEEN YEARS - Dang, ya ain't got but one chance at it and we were all such rank amateurs at the time. Wouldn't you have loved to have had your present knowledge of the world, your alcohol consumption limits, relationships, financial economics, etc., when you were a teen. I figger if I had my present knowledge when I was a teenager, I would now be a gozillionaire, the picture of health, a "Doctor" something or the other, and an all around peachy keen kind of guy. NOT!!!!!!!

As a teen, I was as skeered of girls as I was (any) snake. I didn't understand them, they intimidated me, and I was convinced that I was the biggest dork on earth (Is anyone a greater critic of themselves than any other person?) I did not dance one dance with a (GIRL) until I was 40 damn years old. Now how dorky is that. I was just skeered of looking foolish. The plain simple foolish part was all those years I wasted by not doing it. At age 40, I took kuntry/western dance lessons and found (1) I was dang good at it, (2) It is awesome exercise, (3) Nobody, and I mean nobody cares a flip about how I dance (exept maybe the gal dancing with me). All them years I was worried about what other people thought and cheated ME out of a lot. (Children of mine: NEVER let anyone or anything intimidate you from doing whatever the hell you want to do. Be yourself and let the chips fall. Don't be (whatever age) and look back and wish you had (name the dream).

CAREER - I worked for the same employer for THIRTY THREE years. Plainly stated, I had an unbelievably successful career in terms of advancement, diversity and compensation. I made that happen by placing my complete, total, undivided, uncompromising focus on THE JOB. Damn and be damned, I wish I had a "do-over" on that. I could never explain, list or even remember what I missed in terms of hunting, fishing, education, life, roses, or rest, but more important than anything on earth: family time. There was a period of many years that I worked 7 days per week from daylight til late at night doing "the job". What a dumass :-(

Man, I wish I had a "do-over" for the career years? Dear Lord and Savior and Family, please know that my "do-over" would be ALL FAMILY and to hell with the career part.

NOW AND FOREVER - I figger I'm about to the point where there ain't a hell of a lot of "do-overs" left. My sorry butt needs to treasure each and every day while doing the right things for the right reasons at the right time, every time.

Hear me for who I am! I shall make the best of each minute left to me all day every day and strive to never again wish for a "do-over", cause I did it right the first time, enjoying life to the fullest, appreciating every moment, putting the most important FAMILY first in all things, and knowing that earthly mortality is inevitable to all reborn of Christ.

No comments: