Friday, February 29, 2008

Long Days and Short Years

Lisa posted a wonderful blog recently that ended with the quote, "The days were long, but the years were short."

Wow, that really made me think.

On February 10th, 38 years ago, I showed up at 5808 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin, Texas at the Texas Department of Public Safety Training Academy as the greenest, most naive, (scared) Highway Patrol recruit who ever walked on that campus. After that inauspicious beginning, I toiled in the salt mines of DPS for 33 years. Some days seemed never ending with stress, fatigue, aggravation, and (occasional terror). But I blinked my eyes and my retirement day dawned.

Five years ago yesterday (Feb 28th) I retired from DPS and walked away from my life's work, a lot of friends, and a world of memories. How did five years evaporate so quickly?

Almost two years ago, I agreed to be the "interim" Chief of Police for Austin Community College for two months. Guess I forgot to set the alarm clock on that one as I woke up this morn and realized the "two months" have flown by with increasing speed after I became the "permanent" Chief.

Thirty four years ago, I went to Methodist Hospital in San Antonio in the predawn hours (about as scared as that first day at Highway Patrol school) and awaited the birth of my first child, Casie. I "blinked my eyes" again and, Wow, she became a mature adult with her own family in faster time than it takes to tell it.

Twenty eight years ago, I made that same exciting trip in the predawn to Marshall Hospital and was blessed with Lisa. Yep, "blinked" again and her family/babies/church/etc are becoming history making in the fast forward mode as well.

Eleven years ago I married the wonderful, sweet, beautiful, supportive, talented bride (Mendy) who has so richly contributed to my personal happiness, well-being, and satisfaction with life and all in it. She makes me laugh, she inspires me, and she makes me want to be a better person, all day every day. And as a truly rewarding blessing, she allowed me the privilege of helping to raise two wonderful children, Weston and Marissa. And yes, it seems that we have been together but a moment.

Thank you Lisa for causing me to pause and think about so many good things in my life.

No comments: