Sunday, March 9, 2008

PAY FORWARD

I love to read Lisa's blogs. They are funny, insightful, let me know what the Gkids are "up to", what L.d. is contemplating on any given day, and they often have words or phrases that really hit a "chord" with me.

Recently L.d. "blogged" about a couple in her life who she could never "pay back", so she vowed to "pay forward". Wow, what a caring, giving, meaningful thought. It got me to "cogitating".

My Mom was one of the sweetest, most gentle souls on earth. I have never in my life heard anyone speak of her in anything but kind, respectful terms. NO ONE, and I mean no one can ever remember her uttering a negative comment of any kind in her entire life. Her life was hard and from age 16 she was married to a man who daily challenged the world and everything in it at every oppportunity. My Mother was a rare sweet blessing in my life who I can never repay for her love and kindness. I can only "pay forward" by trying each day to emulate her sweet soul as far as kindness to others.

My Dad, bless his soul, was in his time one of the wildest free spirits I could ever imagine. But know what, he loved family more than I could ever describe with mere words. To say that he would gladly give his life for a loved one does not begin to adequately acknowledge the depth of his devotion to his kith and kin. I experienced, benefited, and now publicly declare his love. Can I ever "pay back" that kind of family devotion, Hell No! But, I can spend the rest of my life trying to "pay forward" by doing all in my power to give that intensity of love to my beloved extended family.

Katherine Spradley was a life long "old maid" and a life time high school English teacher. She never married, according to her account, because as an only child, she took responsibility for caring for her parents in a time of need. Never mind the lack of matrimonial children. She spent a lifetime "raising" high school kiddos by her special form of loving mentoring. In school I had the confidence level of a scared rabbit. I didn't think I could ever accomplish anything or would ever really "matter" (whatever that means?) Miss Spradley, bless her soul, saw something in me that I couldn't see. She figuratively grabbed me by the neck, jerked me up, and spent several years "forcing" me to do things that gave me confidence, gave me the desire for college graduate and post graduate education, and made me feel like I could accomplish some things that "matter". I can NEVER "pay her back" for aggressively making me be what I could be, but I have spent many years trying to "pay forward" by trying to mentor young folks to grow in all ways possible and stretch the limits of their dreams.

Thank you Lisa for your continuing inspiring blog.

No comments: