Tuesday, June 17, 2008

THE FUTURE

My employer sponsors a summer youth program that has the goal of encouraging middle school age children to continue their education and start to think about careers. Virtually all of the invited attendees are from foster homes, have exhibited behavioral problems, or have dysfunctional families.

During the summer, each term of the program lasts one week and at noon each day there is a speaker to talk about various professional careers to the kiddos. Today I was the featured speaker.

I have spoken to youth groups on many occasions and tend to focus on the value of education, the importance of personal choice, and the rewards for hard work. The questions that follow these discussions are never related to what I talk about. The kids almost always ask things like do I have a gun or have I ever shot anyone.

The group of kids today wanted information about things that really got my attention. After reflection, I know that their curiosity is based on things they have actually witnessed in their neighborhoods and families. Their posers included:

1. When you shoot someone, are you a good enough shot to shoot them in the head? (notice they assumed that I shoot people, they just wondered about my accuracy)

2. Have you ever handled a hostage situation? (I have never had a kid ask me this in 38 years of law enforcement)

3. Have you ever been afraid? (another new question)

4. Have you ever "wet" your pants? (wow, that one blew me away, but I answered honestly that I almost did a time or two due to being scared or really startled)

5. Can a person make a million dollars any way other than dealing dope? (another issue created by their environment)

At the conclusion of my part in the program, I sincerely thanked the adults that were coordinating the program and promised to help them in any future way I can.

We should all remember that the kids I talked to today are the future of our world, one way or the other.

No comments: