Friday, November 21, 2008

Houdini

The Tin Star Ranch has the world's most perfect deer sanctuary.

Tucked in the Southwest corner of this Eden is a pond which provides thirst slaking elixir. Adjacent to the pond is a corn feeder and the obligatory protein blocks. Surrounding all you will find adequate trees, brush and easy access.

Scouting the area will on any day produce a fresh jumble of crisp tracks, untold mounds of fresh shiny deer droppings, and heavily worn trails where the antlered ones have trod for years to this sustenance mecca.

Aint but one problem. In all my time of thrashing around in this little hunting paradise, I have yet to lay eyes on as much as a fawn? I've come early, stayed late, and climbed trees. I've laid in the brush, relocated to a distant vantage, and eased in on stealthy pads from the backside. Nothin'.

Sure, I've cogitated on the possibilities:

1. These are invisible deer.

2. My neighbor uses a set of deer legs to stomp around my tank to give the appearance of a vast herd.

3. There is a deer cave under the pond where they hide.

4. This has all been an hallucination?

Here's my prediction. Tomorrow bout 6AM, I'm gonna climb into my trusty camouflaged aerial ordnance tree stand at the pond. In the icy black beforn dawn, I will plan the timely demise of Ole Mossback. The Houdini sucker that has eluded me all these years will soon be mere table fare topped by a horned wall decoration.

Its just you and me Bucky so tread light, keep your eyes open, and prepare to meet the owner of the Tin Star in a most abrupt manner.

No comments: