Saturday, November 1, 2008

Priceless

November 1, 2008: Opening day of deer season

6:15AM: 55 degrees, no wind, clear sky, no moon, the stars are so bright that they are almost overwhelming in their brilliance

6:45AM: In the deer stand on the East side of the ranch adjacent to the oat patch

7:05AM: A ghostly buck(?) is easing along the road parallel to the back fence following the scent of a doe, but it is too dark to see anything but the hint of horns

7:10AM: A turkey gobbles in the San Gabriel River valley to the West signalling the time for the flock to leave the roosting tree for a day of foraging

7:15AM: Two doe are feeding at the protein block about 112 yards to the East and the tops of the distant trees begin to look like asparagus tops as the sun musters its courage to ease over the horizon

7:20AM: The river valley turkeys are engaged in multiples arias of operatic duelling solos

7:25AM: I am watching 10 does feed at the protein blocks, the corn feeder, and the winter oats patch with no care but the acquisition of groceries for the day

7:30AM: I remember that every year I wait til the last weekend of deer season to shoot my "sausage doe" and then they all hide in a deer "cave

7:31AM: I make a perfect "neck" shot on the largest doe at 88 yards with my recently acquired Remington model 700BDL .270

7:50AM: I remember why I haven't shot a deer in many years as I am "field dressing" the sausage material and up to my elbows in the entrails.

9:15AM: I pay the $85 deposit at the venison processing place and wonder how much the principle will be in addition to the "deposit" (it don't pay to figger the per pound cost)

10:30AM: Breakfast tacos at El Charrito in Florence with extra hot sauce and four cups of strong coffee

Total dollar cost for the day: ????? Value and positive influence on my psyche: PRICELESS

No comments: