Monday, January 7, 2008

Full Circle

In 1970, my father-in-law (Bob Parsons) took me to Knippa, Texas where I was allowed for the first time in my life to deer hunt. From that experience came an absolute passion for deer hunting that lasted until about 15 years ago.

During the 80's, I was on a deer lease at Fredericksburg for 11 years. The last year I was on the lease, I realized before daylight on the opening day of the season that I was hoping I didn't see a deer because I just had no interest in it. That was such a shock to me that I decided to let the lease go the next year to see if I would miss hunting. Never over the next many years did I have the least urge to again do something that had once thrilled me immensely.

For the last 4 deer seasons I have owned Tin Star Ranch. The first three seasons I hunted, but I would see a deer, look at the gun leaning in the corner of the deer stand, and just go back to watching the deer with no interest otherwise.

For reasons I can't quite explain, this year I psychologically came "full circle". I spent the entire deer hunting season, which just ended, as excited about hunting as I was that long ago day in Knipppa. Every bit of spare time I had was spent hunting and every time I saw a deer my heart would commence a familiar pounding due to excitement.

A part of my hunting rejuvenation was due to my good friend Lynn and his 12 year old son hunting with me. The boy, James, killed a doe this season as his first deer. Seeing the excitement in his eyes and hearing him tell and retell the story meant a lot to me. Sharing the hunting experience with my friend had the same effect. Another important factor was sitting in the deer stands and seeing the moon and stars before dawn or watching the turkey, foxes, hawks, etc. that came near my location. And just as well, actually doing the hunting on "my land" for "my deer" finally made a difference for me.

Was the deer taken (one buck and one doe) a great success story - NO- but the experience was such that I am already thinking about preparation and strategy for next year and can't wait for the 2008 season to arrive.

No comments: