Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Lardasses and Legends

I graduated from West Rusk County High School in 1968 at a lean, mean 150 pounds total body weight.

During those years, I steady worked on gaining as much weight as possible in that I played offensive center and defensive tackle on the football team (where weight mattered). I ate absolutely everything I could get close to, but could not gain an ounce?

You know the rest of the story. Over the years I ballooned up to as much as 190 pounds, but from time to time managed to work it off and get back to about 160.

Here's the deal: I got on them dang lyin' butt scales this morning and hit 198 (a new personal record).

(Try to guess what ole fat boy's New Year Resolution just became?)

I know this ain't exciting or interesting "blog stuff", but I'm hoping that public confession and ongoing blog reporting of my "progress" with this resolution might help me to "stay on the wagon" and get back down to something below "roly poly".

Stay tuned.

Oh, the "legend" part (YAWN, more history for my kids): at 150 pounds I played against boys 50 to 100 pounds bigger, but managed to be named to the All District and All East Texas football teams and was offered a scholarship to play for Kilgore Junior College after my senior year. You young'uns need to always remember that it ain't so much the size of the dog in the fight as it is the size of the fight in the dog!

No comments: