Monday, April 7, 2008

MONDAYS

I worked as a road Trooper for 11 years with rotating shifts, rotating days off, rotating everthing. Monday was just another day like any day.

In 1981, I was promoted to Lieutenant and began a string of Monday-Friday weeks with weekends off that lasted for 22 years. Yep, I developed a genuine dislike for MONDAY. The weekend was over, the job/stress was inevitable, and invariably I was tired from working/playing too hard.

In 2003, I retired and found a new meaning for Monday. Monday was when all the people in the stores, on the roads and wherever I wanted to be were at work where they were not in my way. The neighborhood was quiet again and my grocery store had empty aisles and plenty of carts to haul my "stuff" in. All was good with the world and I basked in the peace and tranquility.

Two years ago in a moment of profound weakness I agreed to once again accept employment in a Mon-Fri job.

Dang if I ain' t relearned to hate Mondays! Sunday night comes and I usually had so much fun on the weekend that I don't want it to end. Also, like the past, I am usually so tired come Monday morning that I wish I had an extra day to rest from the weekend?

Well, one more working Monday is over and I survived. When my second retirement occurs, I reckon I will sure 'nuff enjoy it as I shall never again look at Monday with anything other than relief that the working folks are back on the job and out of my business.

No comments: