Saturday, September 13, 2008

CONFESSION

Ever been lost?

I mean don't know up from down, left from right, in the dark of night, downright lost?

Bout 1978 I was the Highway Patrol supervisor for Marshall. One night I decided to "roam" a bit and started patrolling east toward Louisiana in the Caddo Lake area near Karnack.

We are talkin' bout a moonless, cloudy night that was as dark as the bottom of a dirty inkwell in the back of a closet of a shuttered rusty shack in the middle of hell's own swamp.

Now I know I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampedin' thru peanut butter, but after a bit of "patrolling", it didn't take me long to figger out that I didn't have one clue where "town" was????

Use my handy-dandy po-lice radio to get directions? Back in them days, sport fans, the communications network didn't go much past the city limits of town.

I was on my own and not in particularly good "injun" hands as far as a natural sense of direction?

I drove this way and that thru the moss covered trees with increasing frustration and soon began to wonder if I would spend the night in the seemingly prehistoric "Jurassic Park" precursor with a sheepish morning explanation of how the "boss" got lost.

Happy ending. Through sheer luck (after many hours of being "lost") I meandered my way back to town and until this moment have never revealed to another person that a full grown "bear" spent a night on the road lost as a goose.

Don't know if confession is "good for the soul", but reckon this 'un won't hurt none?

No comments: