Saturday, September 13, 2008

RAW POWER

During 1970 I had the privilege of being a TEXAS HIGHWAY PATROL TROOPER.

A part of that "privilege" was to drive a 1968 Plymouth 440 cubic inch (rocket ship) black/white Trooper ride.

This was before concern of gas prices, greenhouse gases, or whatever?

This was the day of pure speed, power, and the wind blowing your ear lobes off!

I remember the ROAR of the engine, the "sucking" sound of the carburetor, and the G-force pushing me back into the seat when I "pressed the pedal to the metal" to accelerate.

OK, the brakes wouldn't stop the dang thing, and it was not zactly air or water tight, but that sucka would shoot a hole in the wind for a young sprout that wasn't afraid of nuthin' or the devil and would drive to the limit of the car (see any Gene Waller genes here?)

I have personal knowledge that ole wore out 1968 Plymouth would "run" 148 mile per hour (I didn't never do no quarter mile Hallville "stuff" Ms. Lindsay, but it was a "rush" back when?)

Ain't it a shame my eyes/reflexes would be challenged to duplicate that at half speed today?

No comments: