Friday, February 13, 2009

America's Freedoms

Today I was in a restaurant waiting for a table to become vacant so we could be seated. A lady walked in assisting a very elderly gentleman and put him in a chair while she went back to park her car away from just outside the restaurant door.

It appeared that due to extreme age the man's senses were significantly dulled as he merely sat silent and stared into space without focus. As I watched him, I notice that his cap had the name of a navy ship on the front. Along the side was stitched, "Pearl Harbor", and the dates of World War II.

I could not help but ponder the terrifying memories he must possess. Somewhere in his psyche is indelibly etched a maelstrom of sound, fury, and devastation that few others can understand or conceive.

The weight of experiencing and remembering world war from a battle field perspective was laying like a heavy stifling mantle on his face and stooped shoulders.

I can only pray that our Lord will at the given time give this warrior peace and his well deserved reward for his part in allowing me to enjoy America's freedoms.

No comments: