Saturday, April 18, 2009

Gabriel Mills Opera

Our neighbor recently purchased a new 94 HP John Deere tractor. After a few days he commented that the engine was louder than he expected and apologized for any concern that may be causing.

He could not know that nothing could be further from the truth. I am convinced that I inherited some recessive gene which causes me to love everything about tractors, but especially their sound.

I have previously memorialized my first tractor, Poppin' Johnny. The two cylinders of that old John Deere produced a slow baritone "pop" each time a spark plug fired. The more load placed on the engine, the slower the "pop". It produced a symphony that soothed my soul and placed the world at large in positive perspective.

The classical, but occasional cacophony offerings of these wonderful machines, are simply music to my ears. I love the sound made when they are being started, the initial praise they offer when brought to life, and the eager buzz of tireless toil rendered when they are under maximum load.

No sir neighbor, that John Deere ain't a problem. Just keep stoking it with diesel and turn up the volume of our Gabriel Mills Opera.

No comments: