Saturday, July 26, 2008

FREE AIR CONDITIONING

I don't go to movies much. However, when I was a kid the only available entertainment choice was a movie.

Our "theater" was the Turnertown drive-in. The admission price was 50 cents. A coke and some hot french fries ran about 35 cents.

Today my bride suggested we go to a movie to relax and enjoy the free air conditioning. The theater is close to the house, but the wife suggested that we leave an hour before the announced movie start. She is a seasoned cinema buff, so I curiously followed her advice.

We arrive at the movie house and I immediately see a parking lot that is about four times the size of the lot for the Turnertown drive-in. As almost every available spot was occupied, we had to drive around for a spell.

We get our tickets ($23.75) and go to the snack bar for cokes and popcorn (also $23 and change). Another words, counting the gasoline, I got over $50 invested and I haven't got to sit down yet!!!

Turnertown had only one viewing screen. I don't know how many screens were in today's hollywood palace, but we were slated for #20? Then I notice a long line outside screen #20? Seems you wait in line to get tickets, wait in line to get snacks, then wait in line to sit down (I was wondering if they were going to charge us for something else?)

Best I remember, the Turnertown show would start at dark (bout 8:30P) and be done by 11:30P including previews, cartoon and mid-movie break to change the movie reels (and get you in the snack bar).

We got to the theater bout 3P today. The movie wasn't stopped in the middle, but there was commercials and previews out the wazoo. The movie itself was 2 1/2 hours. If you are counting, I sat there needing to pee for 3 1/2 hours. When it was over, I could barely walk and at the bathroom, yep, another line to wait in.

Bottom line: it was a nice outing, but damn the world has changed over the last 50 years.

No comments: