Tuesday, July 1, 2008

GOD'S WILL

Every other year for 38 years I have dutifully recertified in cardiac pulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Today was my most recent schoolin' on the subject. In addition, I received my first certification in the operation of an automatic external defibrillator (AED). (I'm sure there is something about "old dogs and new tricks" in this somewhere?)

The instructor explained that during CPR, the object is to breath into the lungs of the victim in order to oxygenate their blood. You then utilized chest compressions of the heart to pump oxygen to the brain in order to delay or defeat mortality. The AED, when used in concert with CPR, is intended to end either atrial fibrillation or tachycardia and restore a normal sinus heart rhythm.

As I spent today struggling to save my "victim" (mannequin) I struggled philosophically with questions. I reckon advancing age played a part in these questions, because they never occurred to me until today.

If a "victim" incurs a heart event, and if it is according to God's will, is my intervention in vain? Am I attempting to flaunt His will with the arrogant impunity of a mere man? Or am I too, a part of His plan as an emergency responder?

If the "victim" lives or dies, will my participation in the event be part of a larger plan to influence my own life and/or understanding of the meaning of life?

Ideally one continues CPR and utilizes an AED until Emergency Medical Technicians appear. What if they never come? How long should I continue my efforts? At some point exhaustion will settle this conundrum. Have I failed, or has God's will occurred?

How do I know I am prolonging "life" during CPR. Am I pointlessly maintaining the viability of human cells without retention of the immortal soul? Am I being being tested for faith? Am I frustrating or facilitating?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. I only know that each time I encountered a medical emergency during my life, I reacted according to my training and my personal philosophy of service to others.

With these concerns, I pray that my Lord and Savior forever guide my future use of the skill I acquired this day.

No comments: