Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Craftsman Guarantee

My Dad was an awesome "shade tree" mechanic for anything that included an internal combustion engine.

Over the years I chose at selected times to provide him with tool "gifts". Sometimes a nice tool box, other times a new set of wrenches or some such. Dad invariably chastised me saying he already had one or more of every thing. (I would always notice at a later time that the "unnecessary" tools were greasy indicating obvious usage).

When we lost Dad, I inherited his extensive mechanic tool collection. Most of the stuff was completely worn "smooth mouth" (to quote Dad). He had used the tools for so many years that the tool would no longer function properly.

I kept everything. Just the fact that Dad had touched to tools made them more valuable to me than anything new could ever mean.

I had my own tool collection that I had assembled over 40 years. I say "had" because all were taken in a burglary of my barn. My sole salvation was to note that, at least, I still had Dad's old stuff for sentimental value. I would just start rebuilding my personal tool collection thru purchases over time.

About two weeks ago I decided to go through Dad's tools and perhaps put usable things back into service. Bottom line: I found enough of the essentials that I can pretty much do the things I need to do without purchasing a thing.

And the best part, every time I touch them I will think of Dad, pray for his guidance on my feeble mechanic efforts, and enrich the legacy for any person who wants the tools after my mortal race is done.

Now let's see if Sears Craftsman Tool Corporation wants to match that guarantee?

No comments: