Sunday, March 29, 2009

Deere, Dawgs, and other Ramblin's

About 1983, I acquired an old John Deere "B" model tractor. The 1940's era jewel was universally known as a "popping Johnny" due to the characteristic "popping" that came from its exhaust when running.

The "B" model was a bit of a challenge to handle in tight places and didn't have a reserve of power, but I absolutely loved the slow deep baritone of the engine. Besides, when enthroned on that tall iron mule, I felt like a part of history. The generations were being spanned as the ghosts of men multiple generations removed smiled from the sky to acknowledge my appreciation for their old faithful green friend.

About 1990, I retired ole poppin' Johnny to my pasture and picked up a 1950's model John Deere gasoline fueled tractor. With its hydraulic brakes and tighter turning radius, I felt that I was at the pinnacle of agricultural excellence? Again, the longevity of the machine made an impression on me as I cogitated on its 40 years of endeavor toiling for farmers and such.

During 2007 I purchased my beloved BIG DAWG. Big Dawg, my sole new tractor, is a 32 horsepower Kubota with awesome power, all modern conveniences (auto transmission no less?) and total reliability.

At odd times I have mused as to whether those who inherit Big Dawg after my demise will ever contemplate the endeavors and appreciation of previous owners such as I?

Til then, I humbly salute all who take pleasure in the peace and solitude afforded when operating a faithful piece of machinery during a labor of love on one's own property.

No comments: