Sunday, June 28, 2009

1964

After the construction of Hiway 64 and Tx 42, the Turnertown population clustered around the intersection. With the discovery of oil in 1930, Turnertown became one of the near-mythical boomtowns. In the mid 1930s the population reached its zenith of 1,500. Reality set in, however, and when it did, the decline was steep. In the early 1940s it had dropped to a mere 350. By the mid-1960s it was 150 and has since declined to the a last census count of 76.

The ranch hand became road legal in 1964 when at the ripe old age of 14 he was the proud recipient of a Texas Drivers License. Who in the hell decided back then that a 14 year old testosterone fueled male could own a guiding license on public highways is beyond me, but I made the most of it.

Course, having a license to cruise didn't automatically put one in the driver's seat. Obstacles? Well lets start with no car, no money, and no real place to go, but hell, when you are 14 you can fantasize like nobody's business.

On rare occasion, Dad would loan me the family 1953 Chevy pickup on a Saturday night. The rusty truck was Dad's work truck (as well as our family transportation). In order to make it presentable, I would have to get some "coal oil", soak down a rag, and wipe the East Tx oil field grease off of the seats. I would then get a whisk broom and attack a few inches of red sand accumulated by Dad's roughneck crew's boots. After a labor of love to spiff it up, it looked like a royal chariot to me (except for the coal oil smell).

Gas was less than twenty cents per gallon and Turnertown was less than five miles away. Compared to Wright City, it was a booming metropolis with a two cafes, a gas station, a country grocery store, and a DRIVE-IN OUTDOOR THEATER.

As memory serves me, the drive-in was fifty cents. Accordingly, a few dollars would garner a gallon or two of gas, entrance into the movie, and a coke. What more could one ask? Oh yeah, a date????

I honestly don't remember actually watching a single movie at the drive in. I was always too preoccupied with my buddies or the unfortunate female soul who agreed to accompany the country bumpkin for a high dollar "date".

OK, nuff blabbin' so I will get to the point. I don't normally go to the movies anymore, but today I had the pleasure of going to the indoor sit-down variety with my beautiful bride. It was a pleasure ($21) and the popcorn and coke ($13) was devine.

Truth be known, I don't think anything going today can compare with the experience of growing up visiting a country drive-in theater.

Guess ya just had to have been there?

No comments: