Friday, January 23, 2009

Hunting Versus Killing

I've had the privilege of being the temporary steward of the Tin Star Ranch for most of five years.

A modicum of that treasured tenure has included manning a deer hunting stand at the pond in the Southwest corner of the property.

NEVER in my many sojourns at that hunting stand have I observed so much as a single deer? There are always a myriad of tracks, droppings, and scrapes. Just no visual confirmation of venison carcass?

Last week I acquired a "bubba" camera to attach to a tree in order to surreptitiously shoot photos of whatever the hell has been eating my corn offerings from the daily feeder?

Imagine my chagrin tonight while uploading the digital evidence and finding that from about 10PM to 1AM the forest ruminants have been having a soiree of sorts while ingesting my offered bounty of yellow protein?

I had pics of as many as three bucks at one time munching like it was corn chips and the Super Bowl was the salsa?

Where were them puppies for the more than two month hunting season?

I reckon that is why they call it "hunting", instead of calling it "killing" the Bambi of the species?

No comments: