Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nine Line Bind

When I worked in the East Texas oil field the work was largely performed using old machinery that was long past its prime.

The machine (called a "pulling unit") that was used to pull the pipe from the wells powered a large drum. The drum was wound with at least a mile of braided steel cable referred to as "line". The "line" was threaded from the pulling unit to the top of the rig poles (or standard derrick) and then back. If the load to be pulled was heavier, the number of times the line was threaded back and forth was multiplied until sufficient drawing power was created.

Now that my loyal reader is sufficiently bored, I'll tell you that when a person or thing was at maximum strain, my Dad referred to that condition as a "nine line bind".

Finally, the point of all this BS:

I have spent the last week uploading, downloading, sideloading and CUSSING my dadgum laptop. That puppy has evily refused to cooperate to the extent that I can extract pictures from my digital camera and send them via email to eager fans.

Today finally dawned accidental success, but Dad would never believe the "nine line bind" my brain has been in trying to make this happen.

I guess you just can't fix dumass?

No comments: