Sunday, May 17, 2009

CHANGE

Change is so pervasive in our lives that it almost defeats description and analysis. One can think of it in a very general way as alteration. But alteration in a thing raises subtle problems. One of the most perplexing is the problem of the consistency of change: how can one thing have incompatible properties and yet remain the same thing?

The ranch hand has been cogitatin' bout this issue of "change"? Nuthin deep, just "change" in general.

In Wright City, we only got channel 7 (Tyler) on the ole black and white TV. Most times there wasn't anything on worth watchin'. Now I have satellite TV with more than 800 channels. Same story. Ain't much worth spit to see.

Dad always had a wore out piece of crap for a lawnmower that would take twice as long to get started as it took me to mow the yard. I hated mowing the yard. Now I have all manner of electric instant start, ride around, power steering, whatever, and I still hate to mow?

I started out driving old cars/trucks by economic necessity. After a degree of professional success I decided to purchase a succession of new vehicles for perambulation facilitation. Near bout 45 years later, I have greatest interest in the old stuff again. New cars no longer have appeal. Been there done that. I most often long for a 55-57 Chevy or a '40 model Ford coupe.

Again, nuthin deep here. Just thinking about how "change" always seems to circle back around the original camp site if you wait long enough?

No comments: