Friday, December 12, 2008

Blessed Are The Children

"Blessed are the children who walk in the Lord. Blessings and joy shall be theirs. Theirs is the bounty, the fruit of the vine. Theirs is the joy of God's care." (Psalm 128)

Kimberly came into my life with auburn hair, freckles, a shy smile, and the most loving nature that one could imagine. She was eight years old at the time and ready to experience the wonder of all the world had to offer.

In return for her love, I gave Kimberly my name (thru adoption), all that I could be as a father, and my open admiration for her many gifts. I watched her grow and mature over the years, shared her failures, felt joy at her successes, and welcomed the birth of her daughters as my valued grandchildren.

About ten years ago Kimberly became gravely ill with a sickness which robbed her of all but her loving nature. Six days ago Kimberly became whole again, found peace at last, and joined her Heavenly Father by slipping the bonds of this life.

I feel that I have not only lost a child, I have lost a part of what Kimberly represented. When my parents died, I lost a part of the past. In losing Kimberly, I have this helpless feeling of a lost future.

In spite of myself, I am angry because my sense of what is right dictates that parents die before their children. It follows that I feel guilty that I am left to live.

My Lord and Savior will guide me thru this and give me understanding when the time is right. I simply need the prayers of all to help me until that time.

No comments: