Monday, December 15, 2008

Thelda's Humming Birds

As the construction of our ranch bunkhouse continues at a blurring pace, we are being reminded that we are but visitors in a previously pristine wilderness.

The construction workers have been telling us that each day about 4:30PM, an armadillo comes out of its den to casually inspect progress. Sure enough, I have seen that armored critter circling the casa on a couple of afternoons.

The deer repeatedly take nervous glances toward the racket, but continue to come to the corn feeders morning and evening and vacuum the golden protein from the ground with amazing efficiency.

About 10A this morning I went to the build site to confer with the electricians. As I was leaving, I noticed nine wild turkeys on an adjacent ridge surveying our efforts. I assume all met with their approval as they clucked and nodded at each other for a bit and then strutted to their conference destination.

It pleases me that the critters are adopting so easily to our intrusion as I take seriously the privilege to be a responsible steward of our small piece of paradise.

The true test will be when Thelda's humming birds take up residence.

No comments: