Monday, December 1, 2008

Side Notes

The beautiful bride and I spent four days in Gabriel Mills this recent holiday weekend.

The quiet peaceful life there is so subtle that it really takes a couple of days for us city folk to slow down and begin to fully appreciate it. By the third consecutive day, you can sense tension and concern fleeing from your body while being replaced with a soothing calmness.

I hunted on three of those days. Time spent in solitude with a front row seat to all nature has to offer. I watched dozens of crows feed, fuss, and loudly communicate in their raucous caws. I observed squirrels eagerly racing back and forth in preparation for the winter to come. I enjoyed the aerial skill of hawks, buzzards, and all manner of bird variety. All accompanied by the serenade of wind in the trees.

As an almost unimportant side note, I killed a seven point buck that now resides in the freezer. The real joy was simply being alive and a part of nature at the pace that it is best enjoyed.

Thank you Lord for our Tin Star Ranch with its rich bounty of blessings.

No comments: