Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BACK DOORS

I went to Houston, Texas, as the rawest (and youngest) Highway Patrol Sergeants in the history of DPS.

I had 19 Troopers in my command on the North side of Houston and my office was in the community of Humble. All my Troops were older than me and had more time as Troopers than me.

The area around Humble was nuthin' but rough and tumble with every kind of crook, thief, ragtag and idiot on earth. Every time we went on the road we were in fist fights, wild chases, and totally outrageous situations that boggled my mind, even now? I was near bout kilt several times in my law enforcement career, but two of the times was in that den of inequity.

I had been on the ground in H-town maybe a week when my "loyal" Troops informed me we needed to "check out" a local Hispanic beer joint. (What the neophyte Sergeant didn't know was that a long standing tradition was to take "rookies" to the bar and tell them to "watch" the back door. The other Troopers would then run into the front door, causing the crowded bar patrons to charge like mad bulls, YEP, out the back door!)

I dutifully went to the dark back side of the bar and planted my resolute soul in front of the unpainted, beat up back door. I resolved that any single "runner" who tried to escape our raid would be quickly "sacked" by me and my Troops would admire my efficiency.

Imagine my surprise when near bout 25 hysterical souls poured out that door (and absolutely plumb trampled over the top of me in their hasty escape)

Only took me bout 1/10 second to figger that I had been "had" and to sheepishly meet with my Troops on the floor of the bar.

Guess I passed their "test" as I enjoyed a fair amount of loyalty while stationed there?

No comments: