Saturday, May 10, 2008

HUMMING BIRDS

Anyone who ever knew my Mother, always told me that she was a sweet gentle soul, who loved and cared for her children as much as anyone could imagine. I have never had a reason to doubt them.

My Aunt Bill once wrote, "Right after your Mother died, I was sitting on my back porch listening to my water fountain and a little humming bird came and visited the fountain for a long time and I was sitting right next to it. I dubbed that little bird, "Thelda". Now when a humming bird flies near me, I say "Hello Thelda". What an awesome tribute to be compared to the beauty and delicate nature of one of God's most treasured creatures!

Somewhere there is a picture of my Mother sitting outdoors on a cement, backless bench on the front lawn of New London High School. She is 15 or 16 years old, dressed in her finest, and her hair is carefully coiffed in the style of the day. Everything about her in that picture looks relaxed and carefree as though she did not have a care in the world.

Shortly after that picture, she dropped out of school, married my Dad and started a life-long adventure: living in Wright City married to Gene Waller, while raising three children.

It would be an understatement to say that we did not have a lot of things that money might provide in our early lives. I know that now, I didn't know it then. Mother fed us three meals per day that tasted as good as anything I have had anywhere in my life. We got up each morn and put on clean clothes that may have had a patch or two, but they matched what other local kids wore.

AND WE WERE LOVED! Mother spent her life eternally doing all those things that make a child know in their heart that they are loved and cherished. I know I can never approach her facility for loving and nourishing children, but I try.

We lost Mother in 1977 to cancer. Her battle with this monster tore the heart out of her children. But through her pain and suffering, she never stopped thinking of us.

Mother, I miss you so much every day that it makes my soul ache. Please know that your life, which gave me life, was not in vain. I have spent every day since your passing trying to merit the blessing of your existence.

May God bless and keep you forever and forever as you rest in the knowledge that your children worship your memory.

No comments: