Monday, May 26, 2008

SNOW CONE WEATHER

Last deer season I spent a number of days hunting that were colder than a brass toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg.

I remember a day in particular when I got to shaking so hard my eyes were vibrating. I couldn't feel my feet and my nose near froze and broke off.

Yeah, I am at a stage in life where I can afford to buy high dollar insulated long johns, heavy coats, and such, but I ain't yet at an age where I got 'nuff brains to stay home when I should. Least not when the "buck fever" stirs my soul.

I always get to the ranch an hour before dawn and either climb the ladder to my tree stand, or ease into the ground blind. Either way, that time before the sun creates a rather exquisite cold that settles in bones that are aged near 12 lustrums.

At those moments of weakness, I longed for the balm of warmer weather.

Well hell, I got my wish in spades lately. Its been so hot you could sweat 150 pounds of fat off a 125 pound pig. I'm talkin' wipe your butt with a snow cone weather.

Ever time this ole fat boy tries to do some yard/ranch work, I near bout faint. I used to giggle at the fools that bought them plastic bottles of water. Now I suck 'em down like they was the nectar of the valley.

Anywho sports fans, I'm sure deer season will be here before we know it so I can "enjoy" a splendid crop of goose bumps again?

No comments: