Saturday, May 3, 2008

STILTS

Dad always said that poor people had poor ways.

Reckon that applies to kid's toys as well considerin' that we more or less "made" our toys.

At some point, probably when I was near bout 10 year old, I got the bright idea to make some stilts. I found enough 2x4 lumber to have two pieces about 6 feet long and a couple of steps about 5 inches long. I then nailed a piece of a auto fan belt to the end of each step and several inches above the step in order to have a stirrup to hold my feet to the step.

I would then mount them puppies and walk all day long on them, feeling ten feet tall (anyway, a foot taller). Not content with just walking around the yard, I would go up and down hills, walk thru briar patches, jump stuff, and generally entertain myself immeasurably.

I kinda suspicion that those were what folks refer to as, "the good ole days"?

No comments: