Friday, May 30, 2008

THE HOLY GRAIL

Men wouldn't want it told around, but likely they are as fussy about their hairdo as women?

As a result, having to change barbers can be a tedious affair. Over the years, my job caused me to move around Texas a bit. With each move came the inevitable task of finding a new barber who would not cause me public humiliation through his hair whacking methods.

When I moved to Austin, I foundered around a bit until I found Sherman. Sherman gave old fashioned one of a kind haircuts for 45 years. "One of a kind" meant you got what he gave you, no questions asked. Oh, you could give him as much detail instruction as you liked, but he would just nod his head and give you the same "do" that everyone else received for $12.

Sherman administered a decent cut and he filled the communication bill as well. By that, I mean he talked enough, but didn't blabber too much to his audience that was held captive in the chair with half finished haircuts. He always had a bawdy joke to tell or a fishing/hunting story and he made you relax in his chair. I might also mention that he was blunt. Sherman came from a long lineage of Germans in Lano, Texas and if you asked his opinion, he didn't put no window dressing on it.

After 25 years as my barber, Sherman announced one day that he was cutting my hair for the last time as he was retiring at age 78. Through shock and mortification I asked what I was going to do about getting my hair cut. In typical Sherman fashion he said, "Just become a damn hippie I guess?"

Well my journey to find my next barber would rival the search for the Holy Grail. First of all, old fashioned barber shops are a dying breed. You got your Sports Cuts, half nekkid women and beer haircut joints, salons, spas, and parlors. Some them places I felt like a sissy going in and most places I came out looking like a refugee from a weedeater test facility (after paying as much as $25).

Finally I found my present barber ($14). He is maybe 25, but he barbers in an honest to goodness old fashion barber shop that is frequented by old men (like me) in an old neighborhood. He gives an excellent, fast haircut and he sufficiently limits conversation while I am captive in his chair. All is well in the haircut arena once again.

(Now if I can just get past the fact that he is QUEER as a three dollar bill, maybe I can get to the "relax" part of haircuts?)

No comments: