Thursday, May 22, 2008

BLOOD KIN

I never heard music played in the Wright City Assembly of God (WCAG) church. I confess that I don't know if the dearth of musicality was due to religious belief or lack of instruments/talent?

Whether anyone tickled the ivory keys or not, "sangin" ruled the day at church time.

Church goin' by the ole ranch hand allowed memorization and performance of such golden oldies as "This Little Light of Mine", "Jesus Loves Me", and "If You Are Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands". Obviously, this was before the American Idol show as I did not make the top ten tour? (and I would have busted Simon Cowell in the mouth if he had 'dissed my rendition of "Jesus Loves the Little Children"!!!!!!!!)

One of my favorite memories is of my Grandmother (Ola Mae) and her sisters Hattie Lee and Flossie Bell. They were an ecclesiastical picture for sure. Long hair twisted up and piled as tall "buns" on top of their heads, no make up (that I knew of), and dresses with the collar up to the neck, long sleeves, and long hems.

This angelic trio (OK, I'm taking poetic license to the hilt by including Hattie in that description) would sing ancient hymn after hymn acappella while in perfect harmony. "Rock of Ages" and "The Old Rugged Cross" never had it so good.

One day 25 years later, I was talking about the three "sisters" in this vein to my Dad. Dad dutiful asked, "Why are you calling Flossie Lyles a sister?". My reply, "She was my Aunt Flossie".

Imagine my surprise that it took me about four decades to know that Flossie was no relation whatsoever, just a family friend? I felt like something important had been stolen from me?

Oh well, blood may be thicker than water, but it took 40 years to wash the Waller "blood" off Aunt Flossie?

No comments: