Wednesday, August 13, 2008

CLOSURE

I participated in the burial of one of my employees today. Not a stranger, not a casual acquaintance. A living, breathing person that I hired, mentored and attempted to lead.

He passed away four days ago. Attempting to attend to details and be a comfort to his family during this time of extreme emotional need has been a necessary, but challenging time for me.

The good news is that I have served in this role literally hundreds of times. Another words, I feel I can provide as much comfort and sanity as a layman can provide in such an emotionally devastating situation.

The less than good news is that it does not become routine, rote, or lacking sensitivity. It is cumulative. The more one bears the weight of the grief of others, the heavier the burden becomes.

I have comforted the loved ones of the newly deceased for more than 38 years as an employer of others. I accept and appreciate the gravity, solemnity, and spiritual obligation of the role. I simply have not discerned how to make it an easier burden for me to bear. I care, I mutually grieve, and I pray to my Lord for words of comfort to the bereaved.

The conclusion of today's services allowed me a sigh of relief, a time for quiet reflection, and closure.

Today we ended one chapter in a long book and opened the page of the next chapter.

Lord, I pray that you will allow me to be a facilitating comfort to all in need during their time of loss. Lord, I also selfishly pray that my time as a small humble source of that comfort include the blessing of Your strength to help me endure the burden of the grief of others.

No comments: