Saturday, August 9, 2008

PROGRESS???

In my less affluent days I would trim the trees in my yard with a pole saw. Yeah, hold a long pole with a blade on the end up in the air and push and pull on it until a limb was severed.

This high tech methodology was alternated with some low tech stacking of the limbs to either burn or bundle to be hauled away. It was slow at its best, but the job eventually got done.

I now am the proud owner of a $617 Stihl motorized pole saw. It weighs roughly 20 times what my trusted manual model weighed. It also cost about 25 times what the old one cost.

I got out this morn in the front yard and with trembling arms (heavy saw) whacked down more limbs in an hour than I will be able to pick up during the rest of the week.

If the new tool weighs 20 times more and cost 25 time more (20X25=500), I guess that explains why I am feeling about 500 times dumber for changing the process?

No comments: