Saturday, August 2, 2008

GENE GENES

Bout 1973 I bought my neighbor's 1959 Willis Jeep.

It had the original four cylinder engine and would run a respectable 45 MPH up hill and down hill.

Dumbutt me took it out on the interstate one morn and ran it 70 MPH. The motor unwound and melted to scrap iron.

Being forever genetically linked to my Dad, I set about turning the smoking carcass into what Gene called a "hoopee".

I installed a V-8 Chevy engine and linked it to a Chevy transmission and drive shaft. Took me a full year to "engineer" this masterpiece in my spare time.

After I finished "bastardizing" the Willis, I backed it out onto the highway, revved the engine, and popped the clutch. I immediately figgered out I had sold my mule to buy a plow because the inverse power/weight ratio caused the front wheels to come about three feet off the ground. (Gene would have loved it, but I knew it would hurt me eventually. Any idjit can fly, but the landing will kill you).

I sold my "brain child" without ever driving it again and moved on to JRM's black jewel Chevy truck.

All this to say that I kinda had a hankerin' for a spell to buy another Jeep.

I'm just trying to figger if that would make me happier than a possum in a corn crib with the dawg tied up, or if it would just turn loose more of them "Gene genes" and lead to another mechanical monster?

No comments: