Saturday, August 2, 2008

ENOUGH

How much is "enough"?

As of today, I have plied my chosen profession for 38 years, 5 month, and 23 days.

I knew from childhood that when someone asked how I made my living, I wanted to be proud of my answer. I also knew from my teens that I wanted to look back on my personal "body of work" and feel I had made a positive difference in the world. But, how much is enough?

I knew from "middle age" that I wanted a degree of financial security in my dotage. But, how much is enough?

I now know that I want to have a significant number of years away from my profession. I want years where I can relax, sleep a full night, and not feel responsible for the population at large. I want decades to be able to work my land, enjoy my hobbies, and travel as desired. But, how much is enough?

It's a basic math ratio. The longer I remain employed, the fewer number of years I can enjoy not being employed. But how much is enough?

I humbly pray to know the Lord's will and for my own good judgement in this matter.

Pray that I have enough.

No comments: