Saturday, August 23, 2008

TATER PLANTING

OK, I put my reputation on the line for my cornbread. Now I'm gonna do the pinto bean thing. Pretty courageous, huh?

Yeah, I know, you think you have the best "red" bean culinary style. Naw, this will blow you outta the water.

1. Put yore dried pintos in a pot with water and soak til they don't need soakin' no mo'.

2 Pour off that nasty "soaking" water (too much electrolytes, free radicals, and "stuff")

3. Put fresh water on them hydrated beans. (No, not that dang bottled stuff, just plain old tap water)

4. Dice some extra sweet onion (Noonday spring onions would be delicious)

5. Salt and pepper to taste.

6. Sliver some salt pork in that mess 'o blessed manna (black peppered maple syrup bacon would "do" as well)

7. Here is where we can get creative: add beer, salsa, rotel, garlic, jalapeno, or tomato, you choose

8. Cook "it" til done.

Sound too simple to be true? IT IS.

Some folks (my mom, grandmother, mother-in-law) can do this and it beats ice cream. Some days I do it right and it is great. Some days I do it and it is just OK (OK being unacceptable for anyone from Wright City who is a bean cooker). Where is the magic???

I know, you plant a tater and you get a tater. I start out being a non-cook and I end up being a maker of mediocre?

Now hard sayin' not knowin', but I always figgered there was more ways to choke a dawg than feed him peanut butter. If any of my thousands of loyal readers (I meant to address the one lonely soul) has a foolproof recipe for such a simple task, let me know (seasoning, cooking time, all tidbits appreciated?)(Yeah, I feel retarded being from WC and not being an accomplished red bean cooker?).

No comments: